Thursday, September 5, 2013

Getting back to Normal

 

I’m back!

We eventually got moved, all I can say it was not without trials and tribulations!

But the most important thing to me during that time was my pup, so I wanted to share with you what was going on with him, in the hope that if you have a sick dog then you might remember this post and it just might help!

Murphy - stopped eating and drinking again and on the day of preclosing on our house we were at the vets for 2 hours with him, we were taught how to administer a subcutaneous IV and also had them re test his blood for Addison's (we had spent numerous hours doing lots of research to try and find out what was going on) as we felt that when that test had been done previously he could of had a false negative for it and they had not tested to see if he was producing ACTH which stimulates cortisol production.

We were convinced that he had secondary Addison's disease We then had the vet prescribe medication as if he did. Less than 24 hrs. later he picked up big time, we still at this point gave him IV fluids. We then had the removals in the next day (Thursday) and the following day drove to our new home.

Well when we arrived I gave him a bowl of water form the well. I had not seen him drink so much in 4 weeks!!!!!! He is getting better daily and loves our new home, he has plenty of room to run around and play.

Side effects of the medication include drinking and eating A LOT, which is exactly what we want at the moment as he lost a lot of weight. We have been slowly been reducing the dosage as prednisone can be hard on the kidneys.  Who knows we may even be able to take him off it one day and only give it to him if he is stressed.


We received the test results back and his levels for ACTH were 3.0 in a normal dog it should be 6.6 - 25,

So we have to give him prednisone which replaces his cortisol.


I am so happy that he is still with us and doing well. I know quite a few of you if not all of you have fur babies and what I would like to say is not matter how good your vet is, you are the best advocate for your pets, at the end of the day the vet cannot spend countless hours researching what could be wrong with your pet, luckily we were able to.

Addison's disease is a lot more common than you would think, but most of the time, cats or dogs die from it because the vet thought it was something else. Anyway just wanted to let you all know,

4 comments:

  1. Glad to hear that all your research paid off and Murphy is on the mend. Glad to hear your move went off alright too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad he is ok!!i just asked about him in another post !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad he is ok!!i just asked about him in another post !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Sam I'm so glad to hear that things are getting back to normal and that Murphy is bouncing back. I couldn't agree more with you about taking a proactive action when it comes to our pet's health. My vet is amazing, but I also do my research. My two dogs are special needs, so I have to always keep and eye on their health.
    Best wishes and I hope Murphy continues to enjoy his new home.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...